Keto Low Carb Pancakes are one of the best flourless, gluten free and paleo pancakes. These low carb pancakes are made with almond flour and coconut flour.
First of all Happy Shrove Tuesday to all who celebrate !. Nothing is more pleasurable for me on a Sunday morning than a nice warm pancake breakfast. But these pancakes I have made for shrove’s Tuesday. Shrove’s Tuesday is also known as worlds pancake day.
What is pancake day and shrove day ?
Pancake day always falls 47 days before Easter. Shrove Tuesday is the day that precedes Ash Wednesday. The name Shrove Tuesday comes from ‘shrive’, meaning absolution for sins by doing penance. It is a traditional christians culture that they try to be ‘shriven’ before Lent. Christians would go to churches and confess about sins to priest. The bell rang to call them for confession is called pancake bell and its still rungs today.
Before the lent period, Christians try to use up all fatty foods from their pantry such as Eggs, milk and sugar. So that in fasting time no tempting ingredients are present in their pantry.
According to other theory : the actual pancake day ritual started from Pagan ritual in which all the pancake’s ingredients represent a significant meaning. Like,
- Eggs – creation
- Flour – sustenance or the staff of life
- Salt for wholesomeness
- Milk for purity
Coming to this low carb pancakes, I have used two nutritious gluten free flours – Coconut flour and almond flour. I have had tried pancakes using only almond flour successfully (and those are favourites one’s too) but never got opportunity to post on the blog.
So I have not tried the combination of flours in pancake recipe. These combinations of flour would result in such good textured pancakes was surprising for me :-0 These are such fluffy and delicious treat that my family still doen’t recognize the difference (that these are gluten free). Smothered with honey or maple syrup and topped with juicy fresh berries are the best toppings for these.
How to make perfect Keto Low Carb Pancakes ?
- As most of the recipes calls for pancakes to cook on medium low heat. But I cook my all pancakes recipes on low heat. It takes time but they turn SO FAT that your eyes won’t believe.
- Setting the batter aside for 5-10 minutes is crucial. Ingredients need some time to react to turn into fluffy high pancakes.
- Now I have tried them dozens of number what i have found that if you make them in large quantity, you can freeze them in single servings and when want to have them just take them out from freezer , thaw and microwave for few seconds. And yups they are ready to serve hot.
- These paleo pancake needs just few commonly found household ingredients. That’s what i like about them. I never have to go to groceries to buy ingredients specially for this recipe.
Keto Low Carb Pancakes Recipe card
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of your choice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Whisk flour, sweetener and baking powder into a bowl and mix well.
In a separate bowl, mix the egg, milk, vanilla, and melted butter together. Be careful not to use hot, melted butter, as that may end up cooking your eggs.
The batter should be thick. If it is too thick to work with, add a little milk.
Set the batter aside for 5-10 minutes.
Heat an oiled pan on the stove over medium-low.
Use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop and drop the batter into the pan so that you get evenly-sized pancakes.
Cover and cook about 1.5-2 minutes, until bubbles start to form. Flip and cook another 1.5-2 minutes, until browned on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
Serve hot with honey and berries.